Saturday, November 7, 2009

Moved!







Well we are finally reconnected to the net, which is a big relief for me. I refuse to be perturbed by Y's comments that I am "a bit sad", because without internet, I have no contact with my family and far away friends. I can't abide chatting on the phone, and would much rather talk with my hands anyway. Plus it's amazing how many things you do on the internet, isn't it?!?! Finding out where places are, checking exchange rates, the weather, news, converting weights and measures, finding recipes, checking medical symptoms, finding phone numbers, shopping for just about everything - these are just a few of mine. So I am happy happy happy to get our internet working again.

Well we are technically all moved, apart from my bike, which Y and I have to janken to decide who gets to cycle all the way up here on it. I tried the reverse psychology bit and told Y that I should do it because I am fitter than him. Didn't seem to work though. He just laughed. Have to think of a new technique if I want to get out of it then.

We have lived here since October 26th, which is a grand total of 13 days. Wow, that's a bit of a shock. It took two to three days to unpack. That is something of a record for us, because we often have boxes hanging around for weeks. I'd like to think it has a lot to do with me being more organised this time, and the fact that I must have got rid of a skipload of things we were hanging on to that we didn't really need. Having the storage room is great. We have the bookcases in there, so it leaves the rooms really clear. I always had a problem with the bookcase in the bedroom. Don't know why, but bookshelves always look really cluttered to me. Ideally, it would be nice to have a little desk in the storage room so I could sit in there and do the accounts, etc., but in reality, there may just not be enough space. The children are both sleeping in one bedroom, and it's looking really nice. When L is out of his cot, we are thinking of buying a high bed that we saw in Ikea where you can put a mattress at the bottom, which would be ideal for L to sleep on. It turns upside down and can be used as a kind of four poster bed for when they need their own rooms, which can be decorated with "girly swags". Anyway, THEIR room is sorted apart from the curtains, which I am hoping to make when my fabulous sis buys me a sewing machine ;) It has been years and years since we had our own bedroom to ourselves, and it's great not to have a nightlight on and sleep in pitch darkness. And to be able to actually talk!

As for our room, the double wardrobes are already full, how the hell did that happen!?!? I am trying to hang my clothes and maybe search for some nice drawers for jumpers and heavy things that will fit inside. At the moment we have those awful long plastic ones that I can't stand, but I prefer to have clothes hanging so I can flick through and see what I've got. Y has way too many clothes. I definitely think he needs to downsize. He wears about 4 different outfits when he's not wearing his suit, and yet he has drawfulls of clothes, some of which I have never even seen him wear. We got some drawers to use as bedside tables. They match the bed, but we went for the drawers as opposed to the bedside tables in the series, because they are more useful and I think look better anyway.

The curtains are up at the windows. We compromised on the "net" curtains, which I didn't want, and now we have some thin curtains up instead, which are far prettier and still let the sunlight pour in. And I have to hem the curtains for the other window at the back of the bed. The shame about having so many windows, is that there is not so much wall space to decorate. I am definitely thinking of making curtains for all of the little windows though, or blinds or something, because at night, it's cold. And the wind coming from the mountains hits the back of the house and it's just miserable. So hopefully curtains will help the north side at least feel a little better. So glad that all the rooms are south facing though.

The bathroom is one of my favourite rooms. Lots of space in the washing area, and we ended up using the kitchen trolley in the bathroom to store towels and p.j.s Only problem is there is a lot of floor and not enough bathmat and both children have run off it and slipped on the floor after taking a bath, so I'm on the lookout for a bigger bathmat.

Anyway, enough about the rooms, because I could go on about it all day. When I have things a bit more organised, I'll go round and take some photos to post.

We went to the neighbours to introduce ourselves, and got rather a frosty reception from one of them. Y apparently saw some comment on the internet about someone who lives around here. They were complaining that when they bought their property, there were assured that the prices would not be any further discounted, and that the remaining properties on the street are now being sold at a much lower price. Erm, yeah, ok, is that OUR fault?! What do they expect the housing company to do when they can't sell houses for a year?! There is still one house left, but I know I won't be crying if that gets discounted too. That's the gamble after all. Anyway, I am not really bothered about the neighbours as long as they don't get in our business, but it's good that there are plenty of younger children for L and H to play with in the future.

So in brief, things that are different about the new place and area:







  • It's quiet. Far from the main road and no real through-roads.



  • It STINKS. There is a pig farm and a cow farm just north of here and at night time the air is positively humming



  • We don't really have much of a view compared to the old place because of the houses across from us.



  • We DO have an AMAZING view of the mountains from the back of the house though!



  • It's a bit chilly here at night, but the airconditioner is filling the 18 mat quota as promised!



  • It's nice to not have to fold our dining table up anymore.



  • Our t.v. is humungous, but it's not as overbearing as I had imagined it was going to be.



  • Our rubbish men come way too early in the morning here, so no more chance to take out the rubbish if Y forgets.



  • The postie also comes in the morning (as opposed to 4p.m. at the old place!) which is great!



  • There are not as many pointless salesmen ringing the doorbell at all hours.



  • Cleaning didn't get harder, just takes longer :)



Unfortunately, we will have to wait until the new year to get our new sofa, t.v. stand and dining table, which kind of sucks, but is just one of those things. I'm hoping that next week I'll be able to organise everything a bit more and that we'll get the blinds for the living room delivered. Without them it all seems a bit cold. Then it might start feeling a bit more like home.




3 comments:

  1. I had to laugh at the last dot point "cleaning didn`t get harder it just takes longer" - I am so bad at cleaning. I mean we keep our place reasonably clean and then on Sunday Shun helps me do the vacuuming while I clean the bathroom/toilet and do a general tidy up (like hang any clothes that need to be hung up etc) but overall I am very lazy about it and my oven needs to be cleaned WAY more often amoung other things.

    Glad you are all moved and that internet is back on. I was without it for AGES when we moved here and I hated it and Shun told me I was "sad" too...but I told him to shove it (in the nicest possible way :P) because it was technically his fault it took so long. I don`t skype chat with family back home (it was all a bit too technical for my mum) but I definitely missed interacting with english speakers online. It is my savior!

    Good luck convincing hubs to go and get your bike!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I was a bad cleaner too. I put it down to my Mum being one. I had no idea that some things even NEEDED to be cleaned! Now I am slightly obsessive at times. Hubby thought me strange to stress about not being able to get inside the slats in the bathroom door to clean them, and skirting boards are my worst enemy :P I am currently stressing about how to look after laminated flooring. I mean, the vacuum gets the dust, but the only way to get marks off is to get down on your hands and knees with a damp cloth?!?! I want to MOP! And I mean mop properly, not with one of these orange duskin thingimibobs...anyway, see what I mean?!?!!? Obsessed! It gets harder after babies are born too :O

    ReplyDelete
  3. congratulations!! (sorry i haven't been reading recently, i've only just seen your posts come up on my RSS feed.) how exciting to have a new house!

    ReplyDelete